“By virtue of the authority vested by the Constitution of Virginia in the Governoe or the Commonwealth of Virginia, there is hereby officially recognized: Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day”
- Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer, excluding non-melanoma skin cancer, and the second-leading cause of cancer death among women in the United States.
- One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer during her lifetime.
- Recent statistics show the incident rate of breast cancer as 124 cases per 100,000 women in Virginia.
- Studies have shown the majority of women diagnosed with breast cancer are not referred to a plastic surgeon prior to surgery related to their cancer treatments.
- Minority women are significantly less likely than white women to see a plastic surgeon before initial surgery and are more likely to desire more information about breast reconstruction.
- Reconstructive breast surgery has been shown to have a positive impact on the quality of life of women requiring reconstruction.
- Breast Reconstruction Awareness
- Sentara Martha Jefferson Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery – BRA DAY: Closing the Loop on Breast Cancer
- Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day Website