I hope that you will be able to join us at the ASPS Advocacy Summit scheduled for June. As a member of the Virginia Society of Plastic Surgeons you have already demonstrated a commitment to advocacy on behalf of your patients and the practice of plastic surgery. Take the next step and be involved in national advocacy through this summit. In the past ASPS member surgeons have helped to advance legislation that protects patients and doctors alike. At our inaugural Advocacy Summit last year we had 82 physicians from 26 states joined in Washington, DC. Surgeons met with their congressmen to discuss IPAB repeal, Ambulatory Surgical Center Quality and Access efforts, GME funding, and more. Through these interactions we helped repeal IPAB! We hope to have a similar turn out this year, and as a member of the planning committee I am confident we have lined up a great program to help you engage in advocacy.
There is still time for you to make plans to join us:
Date: Tuesday, June 26 – Thursday, June 28
Location: Washington Court Hotel – 525 New Jersey Avenue NW Washington, DC
Registration: $250 for all active ASPS members | $50 for residents, fellows and medical students
Hotel Group Rate: $299 per night
Registration Deadline: June 1, 2018
Tuesday, June 26
We kick off the event on June 26 with a Welcome Reception cocktail hour and dinner starting at 6pm. Last year, Sen. Bill Cassidy, MD spoke to us about health care reform just as the Senate announced it did not have the votes to pass the ACA repeal. We can look forward to hearing from another member of Congress who can offer insight into what’s going on in Washington.
Wednesday, June 27
Hear about the upcoming 2018 midterm elections from renowned analyst Charlie Cook, Editor and Publisher, Cook Political Report; Political Analyst and Columnist, National Journal. Charlie Cook offers predictions on who will win the November elections and has inside information that you can’t get anywhere else
- The PlastyPAC Board of Governors is going to give us the inside scoop on how they determine which members of Congress to support and how the PAC plays into the Society’s federal advocacy efforts
- ASPS has invited physicians from anesthesiology, orthopaedics, radiology, and emergency medicine to participate in a panel about state bans on balance billing and how we can work together to combat this issue in state legislatures. State bans on balance billing have been introduced in more than half of the country and ASPS has been extremely involved on the front. This will continue to be an important issue that faces the specialty so it will be great to hear from all the specialties involved on how we can work to fight against the insurance industry, who come equipped with deep pockets and endless resources
- Help determine the society’s 2019 state and federal advocacy priorities by telling ASPS about the issues that are important to you. We are also going to work to identify a new federal “white hat” issue during a roundtable discussion with plastic surgeons from across the country
- Learn about how the Administration and Congress are working to reduce regulation and administrative burdens in your practice (Speaker TBC)
Thursday, June 28
On Thursday, we’ll meet with members of Congress from your home district and educate them about the practical implications of policy that impacts your practice and patients
- ASPS will brief you on all you need to know before you walk into these meetings. ASPS staff will also join you to help answer any nuanced questions when you’re meeting with congressional offices. All you have to do is talk about your patients and your practice!
- Last year the group secured 19 new cosponsorships on ASPS priority bills, which was a huge success. This even helped lead to the repeal of the Independent Payment Advisory Board (IPAB)
Leaders from ASPS and local, state and regional plastic surgery societies attend this meeting, so it’s a great opportunity to meet other plastic surgery society leaders and talk about the issues impacting your state.
Thanks for making this a priority, and I look forward to seeing your there!
Victoria L. Vastine, MD, FACS
Past President, Virginia Society of Plastic Surgeons
State Vice-Chair, Legislative Advocacy Committee
Planning Committee Co-Chair, ASPS Advocacy Summit 2018